Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Bad Experiment

Well, at least now we know that Nuvigil is officially not gluten free.

For most of the day I was awake, which made my life much easier. Unfortunately I was also having a gluten reaction. In the morning right after taking it I was so brain fogged that I couldn't think. It's hard to describe because it isn't the same brain haziness that I have anyway with Narcolepsy. It's less about losing track of things and more about just not having any thoughts in my head at all. And if I have to make a decision I can do it, but it takes a really long time to get any thoughts into my head. So that was fun this morning. I spent a good solid ten minutes trying to decide what I was going to eat for lunch when it was really kind of obvious.

After that came the stomach cramps. Ouch. That lasted most of the afternoon. After lunch my brain was mostly working again, which was good because I had a class. It looks like it'll be really good, actually, but it was long- it went all the way until 5. I ended up driving home in traffic, awake but dead tired. If I thought I was tired before the Nuvigil, I had just forgotten what a gluten reaction is like on top of the Narcolepsy. It completely floored me. I came home and headed straight for the couch and it kind of messed up and switched around my evening routine.

So my digestive system officially says no. Which is unfortunate because my brain wants to say yes. Halfing the pills took away the hyperness and heart rate issues and being awake was awesome. If my stomach could handle it it could open up a lot of possibilities for me.

My latest idea is to look into the latest Celiac disease treatment and see when it comes out- it's a pill that theoretically allows you to eat gluten without a reaction. Last I heard it was in clinical trials. Personally I'm not putting any money on the makers of Nuvigil deciding to suddenly care and change the fillers, though I guess I'll keep writing to them anyway. And in the meantime, it's back to the old daily dragging myself through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment