Wednesday, August 12, 2009

It Must Be The Shirt

Last night I dreamed about going to my ENT appointment. It was in a (real life) building that I've had appointments in before even though I hadn't been there in several years, and I recognized the lobby in my dream. I was wandering around the gift shop, food and elevators area because I was so early that there was no point in going up to my seventh floor appointment yet. I ended up talking to random people, who invited me to come eat lunch with them, and I agreed because they were nice and I was bored. I wasn't counting on actually eating there because of my ever-present food restrictions, but ended up with a pretty tasty salad that I ate even though I wasn't particularly hungry. I talked a little but mostly listened to their conversation. Eventually most of them left, but a nice older gentleman was also waiting at the restaurant and I ended up explaining narcolepsy to him. After awhile I ran into a friend who I haven't seen (in real life) because she's been travelling a lot, and I was really excited to see her and we went back to my (old) house to chat and exchange artwork. I never did get to that appointment, lol. Eventually that dream morphed into something crazy about me getting a part-time job at an insane technology museum that I mostly don't remember- except that inside it was a volcano. o.O

Today I really did have my ENT appointment. I also had multiple errands to run beforehand, which I managed alright. I was tired before I even left, but that's life. Like in the dream, I got there very early because it's been awhile since I've been to that particularly confusing part of town. I managed to find it and park without mishap, and when I walked out of the elevator I was a little disconcerted by how exactly my dream had remembered this particular building. Like I said, I haven't been there in awhile- several years, even- but the summer I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy two of the doctors involved were in that building. I was there a lot for those couple of months and it obviously made an impression on me.

Also funny was the fact that random people kept striking up conversations with me- in elevators especially. Usually I'm pretty quiet and people don't do that, but I do enjoy it when people are being friendly. It was hilarious because I had dreamed the same thing. Later on that day, after running another errand after the appointment (and having more random people talk to me) I realized that it was probably my shirt. I was dressed pretty nicely today, since I had somewhere to go besides class or walkng my dog, and I think people picked up on that. I've noticed that when I wear my nicest shirt more people talk to me than when I'm wearing something else. The same goes for skirts, actually. No matter what I'm wearing I always smile at people, but when I look especially nice they're more likely to make small talk.

The appointment (which I did get to in real life, lol) went okay. The ENT was very nice and actually knew about Celiac disease, which was a plus. I did have to explain Narcolepsy to him, which I managed without getting too complicated, and he decided to get a CAT scan of my sinuses so we can really see what's going on (which makes sense, because the inside of my nose is anatomically messed up). He's thinking that the way my inner nose is set up is literally trapping mucus so that I've got a constant bacterial infection going on. Which is probably at least part of the problem. He wants to do surgery to correct it if that turns out to be the case, and thinks that once that is fixed I will stop having the constant sinus infection issue.

I'm a little skeptical that the deviated septum is the only problem, since I have two auto-immune diseases, but I'm willing to hear him out. Plus I want to do the CAT scan because they're so incredibly cool. I figure they'll do my whole head and I get to see my skull and eyeballs and brainssssss.... muahahaha!

That said, it wasn't the best appointment because I had a bunch of questions enter and then promptly leave my head, and there were multiple things that I forgot to bring up that were kind of important. So once my CAT scan results come in I'm bringing a parent as backup, lol. Both of my parents have mostly unmushy brains, and actually think of questions and do smart things like bring lists. So I think next time will go much better in the presence-of-mind department- with an addition of a functional mind to the equation. You know, maybe while they're digging around my nose they should just give me a brain transplant.

No comments:

Post a Comment