Sunday, August 2, 2009

Life In The Slow Lane

The good news is that I'm starting to (finally!) really feel better after the sinus infection that had me on the couch for about two full weeks. The bad news is that all that stuff that fell by the wayside as I struggled to get caught up in classes while sick, like cleaning my room and getting my dog more than the very minimally essential exercise, is really starting to bother me.

I'm the child of the world's hugest neatfreak, and definitely inherited some of those genes, so knowing that it's been almost a month since the last time I vacuumed is making me crazy. But while I'm feeling good enough to cook every day and get just enough of my homework done to get by, I definitely haven't had the energy to vacuum. You know, all that standing up and moving around nonsense. To complicate matters, the only really good vacuum in our house is up two flights of stairs, and to top it off I can barely lift the damn thing to carry it down. We got a smaller, lighter vacuum for the first floor, but it doesn't work well enough for how nasty my carpet is getting. And adding insult to injury it makes this horrible high-pitched noise when you turn it on.

So I'm stuck waiting until I have the energy for that. In the meantime, trying to get back on our previous walk schedule is taking it's toll on my energy level. My dog needs quite a bit of exercise or else he starts causing trouble and trying to take over the house. We usually go twice a day for at least twenty minutes each walk, which is exactly the right amount of exercise for both of us (as I'm tired and he's very short). When we're healthy, that is. When I'm not doing so great it gets hard to keep up with it, but I know he needs it so as soon as I start recovering that's the first thing I try to add back into my schedule. Therefore, the cleaning must wait.

Meanwhile, even in my life, which is way slower than most peoples', after two weeks a bunch of silly little things start to pile up and nag at me. I have calls to make, letters I need to write, laundry to do, plus of course homework. But even though I have all these things vying for my attention, I know that the most important thing right now is to get enough rest to continue getting better. Also on that front I now have an appointment with a very good ENT, so now maybe I can actually do something about my almost constant multiple-year sinus infection.

Until then, more rest. Welcome to my life.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you can let some of those little things slide. Eventually, you will be able to get to the good vacuum. I too abhor the realities of narcolepsy, especially when other factors (particularly sinus infections) make my energy level even worse. I hope your ENT appointment makes a big difference. Although my sinuses remain lousy, it would be so much worse without my ENT.

    ReplyDelete