Monday, September 21, 2009

Not a Smart Plan

I definitely spoke too soon after the closet cleaning adventure. The next day I was basically out of commission, and it was a bad day for it. I was exhausted and sore from the moment I woke up, and my muscles were refusing to do much of anything. Standing up was tiring (more tiring than usual) and I couldn't lift anything. I kept trying to carry my 15 pound dog to go upstairs, but he would complain and I would look down and realize I was about to drop him. Really light things seemed heavy. At one point I tried to open my window to air out my dusty room, but I literally didn't have the strength to pull up in the way I needed to.

To top it off, there was a family reunion to go to. I took a nap for the first hour of it. Luckily my mom was driving or I wouldn't have been able to go at all. After a nap it was pretty fun and I got to see a bunch of people and catch up with them, and my dog had fun getting extremely muddy.

When we got home I should have just hit the couch and not gotten up the rest of the evening, but I had promised my dad I would go to dinner with him. Of course we got the newest waiter who didn't know to put our sushi on seperate plates, and I was too tired to deal with sending it back. I realized when I was mostly through my dinner that I was having a really minor gluten reaction, probably because of contamination from my dad's wheat-containing California Rolls that would have been on a seperate plate if I had been thinking when I ordered. So I just stopped eating it. It wasn't worth making a fuss over and I was just too damned tired.

Unfortunately we were going to the grocery store after that, so I found myself trying to buy a week's worth of groceries while the most exhausted I've been in a long time, complete with stomach pain and an even hazier brain than usual. I had trouble pushing the little cart. When we got home I didn't even try to carry groceries up the stairs and let my dad do it instead.

Yesterday was a lot better. I still had sore muscles and a hard time lifting things, but this time I was smart enough not to leave the house. As incentive to rest after lunch I watched Jurassic Park, which is one of my favorite movies of all time, and after that I actually had the energy to do homework. I got really into working on my Flash final and got a huge amount done. And last night I slept like a rock so I think I'll be back to normal today.

I really had forgotten what it's like when I push myself too hard. All it takes is a little extra physical activity and I'm screwed for a couple of days. I think I needed to test myself though. Every so often I get this nagging thought in the back of my head that I really am just slacking and using my illness as an excuse, and I have to learn the importance of resting all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment