Friday, September 11, 2009

Revenge of the Final Projects

I tell you, this quarter is killing me. It's by far the hardest quarter I've had at this particular school. And the funny thing is that at first glance, it seems like it ought to be the easiest. I'm taking three classes, which isn't even full time, and the classes themselves aren't particularly difficult. These classes only happen once a week and usually get out earlier than the alloted time. All three of them don't even necessarily have an assignment due every week- in fact, one class only has two assignments all quarter. We're encouraged to work on our homework in class when there is any, and these classes don't have large time-consuming drawings due like other classes I've had previously. A couple of quarters ago I had four classes, two of which had lots of very time consuming homework (all done at home) and the grading was even a lot stricter. I turned in every assignment on time, did a good job and even had extra time for socializing.

But the big difference is that this quarter I feel like crap. And that's all it takes to completely screw me. My sinus infections are getting closer together, to the point that it's really wrecking my attendence record. But aside from that, I'm just obscenely low on energy right now- the worse it's been in years. So I'd be struggling even without the sinus infection.

You would think I would be really glad that the quarter is ending in two weeks, because it means I at least get a week off before the next one drags me back down again. But the quarter ending soon means that a lot of large things are going to be due. Luckily only one project is due next week, and I've managed to install things so that I can finish it at home. For awhile there I thought I would have to go to the computer labs at school to do it, which would basically mean it wasn't going to happen, or at least would end up pretty crappy. But now that I can do it at home I'm feeling better about pulling that off. I am a little worried about putting off my other projects until that one is done, which may end up happening if don't start feeling a lot better in the next couple of days. I'm not sure I can completely finish both of them in the same week.

Mostly the situation just frustrates me. I'm used to being the good student, who shows up to every single class, pays attention and does really nice work on time. I'm used to not feeling good but managing to do everything anyway, through sheer determination to do things right. So it's hard for me to stay home, to fall behind, and to end up having to turn in something I don't like because I didn't have the energy to create something to my own high standards. And right now I'm finding myself compromising more and more because I just keep feeling worse and having to cut back just to survive. I guess the only thing I can do is keep at it and hope it turns out okay in the end.

1 comment: