Thursday, July 30, 2009

Beach Theme

A night or two ago I once again found myself on the local beach. I was staying at this really friendly and small house-like inn that was literally right on the water with two high school friends and my freshman roommate (who is from across the country, so it was random that she was there). I was explaining all this really obvious stuff to them, like what surf is and how you have to be careful about undertoe. The beach looked a little bit different from its real-life counterpart- there were all these big hill-like piles of built-up sand in the water, and the beach itself was hilly in a very not-beach kind of way. The water was a darkish green color that was beautiful and jewel-like. There were lots of big waves crashing right on the beach, and we definitely got wet walking along there. At one point we went out in a little boat. It started to get dark, though you couldn't see the stars very well because it was a bit cloudy. Even after dark it was warm and breezy.

I dream about the beach a lot, in many crazy variations. One time a friend and I were eating dinner in this restaurant that was partially underwater- the wall next to our table was made of glass, and you could see the fish swimming around and the waves sweeping along the windows. As we ate, the sky darkened threateningly and the waves got bigger and bigger and more violent. I started to worry that a hurricane was coming, and that the glass would break, but it didn't.

Another time I was staying in this very open and large hotel with my parents, and I really wanted to go down to the water and play in the sand and the waves. It was very windy at the hotel, and my parents were being very slow about getting ready. We kept forgetting things and having to go back to our room, and the hotel had a rediculous amount of stairs. Finally I just left without them because I was determined to play in the sand and was tired of being frustrated. I had a great time digging and lying in the little waves, absorbing sunlight. Eventually my parents did come down and find me.

Then there was the time I was driving to the beach with a friend and all these dark clouds were gathering. We got there and were determined to go at least walk a little bit on the beach before it started raining, so we threw our stuff into our hotel room (which was one of a group of little round huts right on the water) and headed out. The clouds were so dark that it seemed like night outside even though it was the middle of the day, and we looked back in time to see multiple tornadoes touching down along the horizon. It was terrifying, and we were very exposed with nowhere to hide, and the waves were getting very violent. We just ran down the beach away from the direction the tornadoes were coming from, and somehow managed to escape.

I spent a lot of really fun days at the beach as a kid, and I still go there every chance that I get- which is sadly not very often. It's just far enough a way to be a pain to get to, but close enough that you feel rediculous for not going more often. When I do get there I always have a great time. I love just sinking my toes in the sand, and standing in the waves. The ocean is very inspiring to me, and I have a deep connection with it that never really leaves me, even when I'm a thousand miles away.

1 comment:

  1. Cool dreams and awesome ocean comments. As someone who loves the ocean and lived in Minnesota, you can probably relate to how tough it is for my wife. She was born and raised in Toms River, NJ. She loves the ocean and could always go at the drop of a hat. Now, she is stuck most of the year in Minnesota where no one can understand why she does not appreciate the 10,000+ lakes - "they have beaches too..."

    ReplyDelete