Wednesday, July 15, 2009

How Many Narcoleptics Does It Take To Change a Lightbulb?

Today was, at the least, the makings of a really amusing joke.

So I slept not so bad last night. I got up feeling, while not great, not as exhausted as the past couple of days. So I really had hope for today. No class, just needed to go grocery shopping at some point. So I figured I should do a couple other things I've been meaning to do around the house. Top on my list was investigating my ceiling lamp.

Oddly enough this takes some explaining. My parents moved while I was away in college to a newer house that, to put it nicely, I don't exactly like very much. I keep thinking it must have more to do with the fact that they moved without any input from me while I was gone and I must just resent that or something, but honestly I really just think that this house annoys me. For one thing, it makes my life more difficult in some ways- like the fact that it's three stories instead of the previous one story house, which means I get to expend a lot more energy than I was used to just to get to, say, important places like the kitchen. The laundry is, for example, two floors above my room. Which I seriously do not appreciate as I can barely lift a week's worth of laundry, much less haul it up two stories of staircase. But what really gets to me is my room.

It's supposed to be a guest room. So it's really not made to be comfortable for someone to live in for multiple years. It's tiny for a bedroom, with a tiny closet, no natural light to speak of, and it's tucked in behind the garage like it was an afterthought- Oh, hey! There's a random awkward space! Let's make it a guest room!!

Not like I'm bitter or something. XD

Anyway, the only light that it came with is the ugliest ceiling fan ever, that, to add insult to injury, was so dim that my 25 watt lamp next to my bed was brighter. So I get a tiny, dark room. Big deal, right? Well, it does actually really suck because I like to draw, and I'm going to an art school, and I need natural light to be able to see what I'm doing. And nowhere else in the house really works. Up until today I was doing my work next to the front door, which actually lets in natural light because it has random glass panes in it. That way parents were constantly stepping around me but at least I didn't have to climb stairs and could see what I was doing. Or I would haul everything up to the well-lit living room, but then I'd get up there without things and keep having to go up and down to retrieve stuff.

So recently I decided to see what kind of light bulbs were up there behind the hideous thick glass dome suspended from the fan. I figured at the very least I could get higher wattage bulbs, or maybe even just leave the hideous glass dome off to get slightly better lighting.

This turned into a major operation that ended up with me on not the steadiest latter ever, sweating from total exhaustion while trying to figure out how to get the stupid glass dome either completely off or completely back on (I didn't care which at that point), holding or dropping various parts of fan, screw-on thing, dome and lightbulbs. Of course no one else was at home or even within phoning distance. If I weren't seriously fearing for my life and limb at that point it would have been hilarious. I was feeling very weak and unsteady because the dome was heavy (well, heavy for me) and I was having trouble holding my arms up. Part of me was pretty sure I was going to fall and break something- me or fan or lightbulbs. Finally I figured out how to detach the obnoxious wooden heart (I'm so not kidding) that was hanging off the pull and was preventing me from getting the glass dome completely off. Then I sat it down and just lay down on the floor, weak with exhaustion and unable to do anything else, sweating like a pig. So how many Narcoleptics does it take to change a lightbulb? One can do it, but it might just about kill her. XD

The good news is that (after some quality couch time) I was able to get out three terrible, ancient and rediculous lightbulbs, of which only two had been working in the first place, and replace them with new, clear, stronger but still safe ones. And I'm leaving that stupid heart and glass dome off for now. For one thing, I'm not sure I could get the damn thing back on. But now my room has light! WOOHOO. Take that, stupid fan. XD I WIN.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome story! I am also glad that you did "win," as it were. I totally connected to the situation. Far too often I am fixated on completing some task. I too wind up exhausted and overwhelmed. And, I do NOT always come out in the win column. It is great that your room has some light now. My first thought was, "great give the PWN the poorly lit room. It is not like she is already fighting sleep on a regular basis."

    ReplyDelete