Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Break-In

Last night in the middle of the night, I had a very loud hallucination- all sorts of banging, scraping, shouting and jangling sounds were coming from the entryway. I woke up with my heart pounding. It actually surprised me a little that it effected me that much- I've had literally uncountable nightmares and hallucinations based on people breaking into my house. That's definitely the most common theme. By high school it was a private joke that I was so used to it. Sometimes it would turn out the person who was randomly in my house was fixing something, and then it was okay; sometimes the person was hunting me down to kill me and I had to hide under the floor or climb out my window and up onto the roof; sometimes there was a whole group outside with guns looking in the windows, trying to shoot at me, and I had to figure out how to get around them and escape. I think I've always been afraid of people breaking in, and probably inherited it from both parents. The whole time I was growing up we had an alarm system and my dad especially has been pretty obsessed with security. There may be a good reason for it, but if there is I haven't heard that story (or maybe I just forgot it, haha). We've had way more times our alarm randomly went off for no reason than anything real- we've always lived in safe neighborhoods, and had just one instance of someone stealing a bike out of our garage. I'm still on the fence about whether or not my parents cross the line between cautious and paranoid, but at least I know where I stand: paranoid as all get out.

The good side of all this is that I'm pretty sure if someone really broke in and put a gun to my head for whatever reason, I wouldn't be in the least fazed and would most likely start waving my arms around trying to wake up, haha. And then the robbers would get very unnerved and run as fast as possible in the other direction, shouting about the crazy person. No need for an alarm after all. :D

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, as I read the first paragraph, I was thinking - if someone really broke in, you would be in the throes of narcolepsy and Xyrem, freaking any intruder out! I love that you went to the same place. I am sorry that you have those vivid hallucinations, but am glad that they are only in your brain.

    ReplyDelete