Thursday, July 23, 2009

Yet Another One of Those Days

Yesterday several different things came to a head in a not so great kind of way. I started a new quarter of classes last week, making this week the first week anything was due. In order to do my homework for one class that promises to be especially work intensive, I needed to purchase a really expensive program. I decided to order it online so I could get the very substantial student discount and therefore save like 500ish dollars. So, like the good student I am, I ordered it on Friday right after class to have it delivered Monday or Tuesday so I would have plenty of time to accomplish my homework by Friday.

Meanwhile, I was slowly getting the next in a long line of sinus infections that have gone back several years. It started coming on worse after I decided to actually have a vague attempt at a social life this weekend and went to the mall with my cousin and her friends for a couple hours on Saturday, then to see a movie with my best friend on Sunday. Apparently this was too much (because oh my god, it was so much!) for my body to handle while trying to hold off the sinus imfection. So I went downhill pretty fast. Before I know it, I'm feeling pretty bad, it's Wednesday, I haven't even started my homework for Friday because the program never showed up at my house, and my parents are coming home on Thursday which means there are still things that need cleaning.

So on Wednesday morning I called costumer service and found out they were out of the program I wanted and wouldn't even have it for another week. So I cancelled that order and ordered it from somewhere else. Then I decided it would be a brilliant idea to go try and use my school's computer labs to at least start the damn thing. But I was starting to realize I was feeling pretty bad, so I called my GP and set up an appointment to get an antibiotic just to be safe. And then I drove over to my school to find a class in every computer lab, but at least I figured out when they are free so I know for the future. Then I ran errands on the way home because I was still mostly ignoring how sick I was starting to feel.

By the time I got to my afternoon appointment I was feeling really bad. It turns out I had a fever. And my doctor made me really mad by commenting that if I get sick this rediculously often, it must somehow be my fault. I think she's really frustrated because no matter what antibiotic she throws at my sinus infections they just come back in a couple of weeks. I suggested to her that I do have a screwed up immune system, to which she acted like I'm "too young" to have this problem. Thanks a lot. Let's help by blaming me for my health issues. I really appreciate that.

So I left there really upset and feeling really really bad, and dropped my prescription off to get it filled. Too tired to wait at Walgreens for twenty minutes, I just dropped it off at the drive thru and went straight home to the couch where I got steadily worse all evening and lacked the energy to drive two minutes to go pick up my antibiotics. With no one around to pick it up for me, I didn't get it until this morning. To make my day really fun, I ended yesterday having to write two instructors who don't know me and therefore don't know I'm actually a really dedicated student long emails explaining why I'm not going to either class this week. My Friday teacher was really nice about it and I found out today that he's giving me until Sunday to email something in, which I may actually be able to accomplish.

I'm feeling a bit better after antibiotics and most of a day on the couch. It'll be interesting for my parents when they get home late tonight and find their very sick daughter having trouble making it to the damn bathroom tomorrow. At least I did most of the cleaning before yesterday.

That's life for you. Back to the couch!

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry, particularly because I am also often at the whim of my sinuses. I am glad that you wrote the professors and opted to not push any harder (granted you did not have many other options). I also find it fascinating that you doctor chose to give you a hard time. I am often stunned by those types of medical reactions - "you can't be this sick...it is not normal...what are YOU doing to cause this?" Seriously? How about, "things must be terribly wrong in your body to have this happening continuously..."

    I am sorry. I will offer that I see an ENT every 4 to 6 weeks. He cultures my sinuses at every appointment. When I do have bacterial infections he chooses specific antibiotics to target that specific bacteria. I also use a saline rinse twice a day and an antibiotic rinse twice a day for my sinuses. Good luck. I sincerely hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting this, since it hadn't occured to me to try going to an ENT. I'm definitely going to do that- it has to be better than going to my GP yet again, which obviously isn't helping. I'm going to ask about an antibiotic rinse- I use the saline rinse every day, but that sounds like it would help even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think that it does. I actually use NeilMed's Sinus Rinse twice a day. And I do the antibiotic rinse twice a day. It is 80 mg of gentimicin in 1000 ml of normal saline. I put 20 ml in each nostril in the morning and in the evening. Good luck. I hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete